This is a classic Ayurvedic formula for promoting a good nights sleep. It is a nourishing & nurturing tonic for the body & mind. It’s also delicious and very comforting before bed!
- Pour 1 mug of full fat, unhomogenised, organic cows milk into a saucepan
- Add the following ingredients to the milk1/4 tsp cinnamon powder, 1 crushed knob of ginger3-4 crushed cardamom pods3 cloves1/4 tsp of turmeric1/4 -1/2 tsp of nutmeg1/2 tsp of ghee.
- Bring to the boil and add 1/2 tsp raw sugar to serve
This formula of ingredients works synergistically to create a nourishing and nurturing drink, ideal for building strength in Winter time.
- Milk: contains the naturally occurring hormone melatonin, which is necessary for proper sleep and recovery. If you are vegan or have a dairy allergy use organic coconut or almond milk
- Nutmeg:is considered a strong sedative, so is conducive to deep sleep and calming a busy mind.
- Cinnamon, ginger, cardamon and cloves:Â help to digest milk and together with turmeric help to regulate blood sugars, balancing the effect of raw sugar.
- Sugar:is important for taste, comfort and assimilation of herbal constituents (Only use good quality sugar such as coconut, rapadura or dark brown muscavado (never use white/processed sugar)
- Ghee:high in butyric acid, is also very helpful in moving the active herbal constituents through cell membranes and across the blood brain barrier. Butyric acid helps to control metabolism, inflammation and stress resistance.
- If you wish to potentise this mix you can add powders of Ashwagandha, Shatavari or Brahmi, time tested Ayurvedic tonics.
Consuming this drink 1 hour before bedtime is ideal to help with sleeping difficulties. Taking it 1 hour before bed gives nutmeg time to act when going to sleep.