If I was to recommend just one spice to add to your diet, it would have to be black pepper. For most people, it is a simple & easy addition but from an Ayurvedic point of view it has so many benefits….
Ayurvedic benefits of black pepper
- Increases digestive fire (Agni)
- Reduces bloating, indigestion & constipation
- Regulates blood sugars
- Antibacterial & antimicrobial
- It’s good for weight loss
- It induces sweat & promotes good circulation
- Reduces toxin (Ama) formation in the gut
- Improves eyesight
- Useful for respiratory problems
Black Pepper increases Pitta and reduces Vata & Kapha.
To learn more about Ayurvedic nutrition or the medicinal use of spices join one of our seasonal Ayurvedic cooking
Doug is an Ayurvedic practitioner, therapist & teacher and the co-owner of Satmya. He was first introduced to Ayurveda in 1998 and has pursued his passion for this ancient science ever since. Read more here