So simple to make and a great breakfast for those with very little appetite in the morning. It is also very nutritious and easy to digest. Suitable for all Doshas but for Kaphas make sure you add some extra spices (Ginger, Cinnamon & Cloves) to regulate blood sugars. Cooking apples makes them easier for Vatas to digest without causing bloating. Hungry Pittas can take a larger portion with extra ghee or coconut oil.
Ingredients (Use organic ingredients where possible)
- Apples – 1 serving = 1-2 apples
- Dates – 1 serving =2-3 dates (you can use other dried fruit too – raisins, apricots, figs, etc)
- Spices: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 4 green cardamom pods, 2 cloves
- Water: 1/2 cup
- Ghee or Coconut oil- 1/2 tablespoon
- Preheat oven – 170 celcius
- Wash Apples
- You can either chop dates or leave whole
- Place apples & dates into an oven dish
- Cover dried fruit with water (the water should cover about 1/4 of apples)
- Sprinkle spices over apples and into water
- Add Ghee/Coconut oil to dish
- Place dish in oven for about 30-60 minutes (depending on size of apples until cooked through). During the cooking process, take apples out a once or twice and spoon the water the apples are cooking in over the apples – this will keep them from drying out.
- Consume within 24 hours.
- Do not serve with ice-cream or cream as dairy & fruit do not combine well.